Heard about our Gentle Thanksgiving ~ Meatout Mondays contest?
The Challenge: Register your Gentle Thanksgiving event & see if you can sign up the most people to receive FARM’s Meatout Mondays E-letter.
The Prize: Choose either a discounted registration for the Animal Rights 2011 National Conference OR something from the FARM online store.
What Makes Meatout Mondays Stand Out: With enticing recipes, featured products, health news, and inspirational stories, Meatout Mondays offers its subscribers vital support. The results are reduced consumption of animal-based foods and hopefully eventual transition to a daily, all-vegan lifestyle. FARM’s Meatout Mondays campaign is not alone when it comes to “meat-free day” programs. However, there are several features that make Meatout Mondays stand out and many great reasons for your Gentle Thanksgiving guests to subscribe.
A Very Important Difference: One thing Meatout Mondays does differently from many other programs is that it promotes 100% all-vegan recipes ALL the time. A common criticism of programs that use the word meat in their title (i.e. meat-free or meatless) is the suggestion that dairy and eggs are not as important to eliminate, and in many cases they still include dairy and eggs in their recipes.
In addition to the numerous health concerns related to dairy and eggs, consuming these products contributes to the lifelong abuse and eventual slaughter of dairy cows and laying chickens, supports the veal industry, and also the deaths of millions of baby male chicks. Meatout Mondays may use the word meat, but the program helps people eliminate ALL animal products from their meals. No dairy or eggs are ever included.
The Gradual Approach ~ An Ongoing Debate: Another common criticism of meat reduction programs comes from those preferring a 100% “go vegan” NOW approach. Critics believe that people who don’t eat meat for one day may eat more meat during the rest of the week or that cutting back will only increase their desire for meat. Some also believe that a gradual reduction program makes people feel “okay” or legitimized in their decision to keep some animal products in their diet. Although this may be true in certain cases, for many people, going vegan all at once is overwhelming, intimidating, and simply not realistic. Changing habits and preferences can take more time for some than for others. The bottom line is to continue saving and sparing more and more animals and FARM never hides its overall mission of promoting a vegan lifestyle and ending the use of animals for food.
Subscriber Feedback: The gradual approach is apparently effective for many people and feedback from Meatout Mondays subscribers continues to be positive. In a recent survey conducted by FARM, respondents were asked to rate how much of a role Meatout Mondays played in their decision to go vegan. On a scale of 1 (least) to 5 (most), 60.4% rated the impact at 3 or above. Since receiving Meatout Mondays, only 2% of survey respondents reported still eating meat everyday, compared with nearly 19% who ate meat daily prior to receiving the E-letter. Of the respondents, the percentage who switched to a vegan diet since receiving Meatout Mondays (some for less than 6 months) went up 11%.
The recipes and information in Meatout Mondays appeal to everyone ~ wherever they may be on their personal path to eating a healthier and more compassionate diet. Below you’ll find more great reasons to subscribe to Meatout Mondays.
- The FOOD! ~ Incredible vegan recipes with easy-to-find ingredients. A variety of hearty main dishes, fresh salads, and sinfully delicious desserts. Lots of staff-tested selections!
- Great Recipe Resources ~ The featured recipe often comes from a vegan blogger, restaurant chef, or other great vegan resource site. The recipe’s creator is credited and you can add them to your vegan resources.
- Product Info ~ Looking for the right meat substitute or even an animal-friendly skin care product? Check this area for great vegan products ~ new ones and tried & true favorites too.
- Coupons ~ Vegan businesses want you to try their products and often give us coupons to share.
- WHY? ~ Our health articles provide you with the latest information about the many benefits to living vegan, plus links to valuable resources.
- Good Vibes! ~ A big dose of hope, inspiration, and encouragement comes with our weekly section featuring a person, organization, or business and their vegan story.
- Reader Input ~ we welcome your comments, suggestions, and recipes! Be the next featured vegan food guru! There are also occasional contests with prizes to win.
- Just enough ~ lots of newsletters are a bit TOO newsy. You put it aside to read “when you have time.” Meatout Mondays has just enough info, plus colorful photos to get your taste-buds watering! You won’t want to wait until later!
Learn more about the Gentle Thanksgiving contest! Good luck and we look forward to having more people join the Meatout Mondays (and hopefully Every Day) community! Want to see back issues of Meatout Mondays? Visit the archives. For more help transitioning to a vegan lifestyle, visit FARM’s new Web site, www.livevegan.org.